The defence counsel for the three accused in the hijack of Indian Airlines IC 814 has moved a fresh application in the Punjab and Haryana high court asking for permission to inspect the hijacked plane once more. This was disclosed by the joint director of Central Bureau of Investigation R N Savani in a conversation with rediff.com on Monday.
"Though the plane had been inspected by the defence counsel and thereafter the permission to sell the plane was also obtained from the court, the defence counsel has moved the Punjab and Haryana high court asking for yet another inspection," Savani said.
The fresh petition might delay the trail of the three accused, namely Abdul Latif, Adbul Momin and Yusuf Nepali, who are in police custody. The CBI had got permission to separate the trail of the three accused from the other seven who are presently in Pakistan.
The trail was scheduled to begin on August 2 in Patiala. "As of now we are not aware of any stay on the trial," an officer of the CBI said.
According to Savani, the CBI has prepared a big model of the hijacked plane so that it could be made available to the court if needed.
IC 814 was on its way to Delhi from Kathmandu when five armed men hijacked the plane over Varansi. They first took the plane to Amritsar and from there to Lahore. After refuelling in Lahore the plane then took off for Dubai where the hijackers allowed 21 passengers to disembark before they took it to Kandahar in Afganistan.
All passengers, except Rupin Katyal who was murdered by the hijackers, came back home safely after spending a week in captivity before they were released in exchange for the release of three top militants.
Back to top
Tell us what you think of this report