ICC support welcome in telecast rights case: CBI
CBI today said it would welcome
any support from International Cricket Council (ICC) into the
investigations into the cricket telecast rights case and other
matters arising out of the match-fixing scandal.
"We are always in touch with the anti-corruption branch
of ICC in this regard and look forward to any support from
them which is very crucial to our investigation into the
telecast rights case and other matters arising out of the
match-fixing scandal," CBI Director P C Sharma told PTI here.
CBI on November eight registered five cases against some
Doordarshan officials for allegedly cheating the Prasar Bharti
of crores of rupees in award of telecast rights for cricket
The five cases relate to alleged bunglings in telecast
rights for 1997 Independence Cup, ICC Knock-out tournament in
1998 played in Dhaka and the World Cup in 1999.
The CBI alleged that some officials of Doordarshan had
entered into a criminal conspiracy with the Bangalore-based
WorldTel and Delhi-based Stracon India and dishonestly
enhanced the bid for the telecast of the tournament.
Referring to the alleged nexus between betting syndicates
and underworld, Sharma said "we are still looking into whether
there is any link between match-fixing syndicate and organised
crime syndicate in the country and abroad."
Former Director of CBI R K Raghavan had sought help from
other state police departments and central intelligence
agencies in this matter.
Asked to comment on the recent report on match-fixing
by Sir Paul Condon, head of Anti-Corruption Unit, Sharma said
"it is gratifying to know that ICC has appreciated the
investigation done by the CBI in the match-fixing scandal."
The ICC report on match-fixing, unveiled in London on May
23, voiced grave concern over corrupt practices in
international cricket and pledged its support to CBI in
probing the links between organised crime and match-fixers.
The CBI on May four last year registered a Prelimnary
Enquiry (PE) on instruction from the Union Sports Ministry.
The agency later submitted a 164-page report to the then
Sports Minister S S Dhindsa on October 31.
The CBI hopes that the ICC's efforts would lead to
further probe into the role of nine foreign players, who were
not investigated by the agency.
Photograph: Jewella C Miranda
Mail Cricket Editor